Saturday, May 10, 2014

5 pet peeves on webdesigns

Some of my biggest pet peeves about web designs and webquests are too many links, too many graphics, poor grammar, confusing layouts, and obnoxious sound effects.  While I was searching for webquests for our first assignment I came across a ton that had all of these negative aspects.  If I have to go to 10 different links to understand what your webquest is about you have already lost me.  I also get distracted easily-so if there is a dancing cartoon on a page that is all I am looking at-again you have lost me.  There were a number of web sites that I visited that had grammatical errors as well-it is one thing if you are posting in a personal blog or on facebook and you have poor grammar and spelling but it is quite another if you want people to take your web site seriously.  As far as confusing layouts go-if I can't figure out how to go through your web site I'm not going to waste my time-even if it has great information.  My last pet peeve is obnoxious sound effects.  I saw these in a number of elementary webquests.  I get that you want to spark the interest of the student but again it is distracting.

2 comments:

  1. You have some great points. I've seen so many WebQuests with poor grammar and spelling. I don't care how great the rest of the content is. It's not something that I would share with my students. Small errors are forgivable, but major repeated errors are just not going to work.

    I also get overwhelmed by too many links. I don't want to see a list of twelve different links. For one, I don't know where to start because it seems like so much information. A short description might help to catch my eye though. If I know what I'm going to see before I get there that might help. Links are certainly one area where less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not even thought about the sound effects because I almost never turn my sound on! But I do remember a German restaurant that played Oompa music that was so loud I turned my sound off.

    I agree that many of the webquests sights were bad, which considering they were more then likely created by educators is pretty disturbing. I've gotten over a lot grammar errors on websites; e-mails and texts are far worse for spelling and grammar. When all of these errors pile-up the website is not likely to get a return visit .

    ReplyDelete