Sunday, May 11, 2014

technology integration blog 1

 One of the ideas that I read in chapter 9 on technology integration of English and Language arts that I will definitely use in the future is the idea of giving students access to online reading materials.  The chapter gave the example of www.icdlbooks.org- the international children's digital library.  It has over 2000 free online books.  I went to the site and found a lot of different books that I found interesting  that could be used in an elementary setting.  I also liked that the site had different books from all over the world which would be great to give kids a chance to see what a book in a different language looks like.  There are lots of different ways that a teacher could use this site-from showing students in the classroom how to read an online book, to having them do a workshop where all the students read the same book, to having them search for books that they find interesting from the list provided.

1 comment:

  1. I continue to be amazed at the incredible amount of FREE resources available on the Internet. A simple computer with an Internet connections opens up a whole other world for teachers and students. From Web 2.0 applications to lesson plans to free books, it's amazing to think that it's all free.

    I could see using the library books that you posted for ESL students as well. I have a friend who teaches at the junior high level and this year she had a new student who did not speak any English. I had a hard time trying to figure out what I'd do with a thirteen year old student who could not understand anything that I was teaching. Every one of his classes required one on one attention from an aide who spoke the same language. Not only that, but he was well below grade level in all of his subjects so he couldn't even do the same work as the other kids even if he could understand it.

    ReplyDelete