Saturday, May 24, 2014
Incorporating technology
When I first started this class I really did not think that I would be able to incorporate technology into what I wanted to teach (Kindergarten or 1st grade) because most of my students would not be able to read yet. (...well this also coupled with the fact that I am pretty clueless when it comes to learning about new technology). However, after learning about all the different ways to incorporate technology through the reading and through the example websites I'm very excited to try it out. Technology is everywhere and it is the way of the world these days. Kids today are born into this crazy techno obsessed world. I shouldn't be blind to the fact that kids who are 5 and 6 years old may know a lot more about the internet than I do! One of the most useful integrating technology strategies that I learned about was the webquest. I feel like these are going to be so useful to me as a teacher because they are so organized and easy to understand that even young students can follow them. I also think that a lot of the websites that I had to research for class will be beneficial to me- especially the one about using technology to help teach special needs students. Even being as clueless as I am when it comes to computers and internet, after this class I feel a lot more comfortable with trying to find ways to add technology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like what you said about the students knowing more than we do about technology and the Internet. It's funny how little instruction they need when it comes to technology. It seems to come naturally to them. I'm sure that there are teachers out there who aren't comfortable with their students knowing more than they do or don't like that the roles of teacher and student have been reversed. However, I think it's a really neat thing. I like to think of it as there will always be someone around to help me when I'm having a problem. It shouldn't matter who is doing the teaching as long as we're learning.
ReplyDeleteLane, just as I had my eyes opened to using technology in my content area, I am glad that you now see the possibilities for even young kindergarteners and first graders. Kids today are never too young to use technology. My three year old daughter has been learning and using educational apps on an IPad and IPhone, since she was only a year old. As these kids get older using technology will be second nature to them. For example, whenever I come across a technical issue while using the computer, my first go to person is my twelve year old son. I just spoke with my wife about technology use in her kindergarten classroom, and she said that they use IPads in the classroom. She also said that most of the students needed no instruction using one. It is a fact that kids today are learning these new technologies pretty much from birth, so by school age I would agree that they are more than ready.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to read, Lane, that you feel better about tech now then when we started. I'm glad you feel more confident in using tech with the bogger patrol (I'm so harsh). All of that is good and what we had this class for...
ReplyDeleteI agree with Megan that the flip-flopped dynamic is good thing. I can honestly say that I knew more about computers than the teachers I had in high school. We didn't even use computers for typing in Beecher or for the layout of the school paper. Learning, no matter the age is the game we have all opted for.