Sunday, May 18, 2014

technology integration for special education

 In Chapter 15 of the reading I learned a lot about the different students I will come across.  From those that are extremely gifted, to those with physical impairment, to those who have a learning disability I am sure I will come across more than one in my future classroom.  Integrating technology for those students that have disabilities is just as beneficial as integrating technology to the students who do not.  The problem that arises is how am I going to do that.  In the reading I came across the webite www.attainmentcompany.com.   I clicked on the video that popped up and was shown a student with a disability learning how to read by using a tool the site identifies as the early reading skills builder.  I was so inspired by watching the little boy recognize the letters and being able to read the words.  I think that this website is fantastic.  It shows parents and teachers that even a child with disabilities can learn and that they are not a "lost cause."  If I come across a student such as Grady in my experience I will definitely be visiting this site and the links to find ways to help him or her learn.  Check out the site and watch the video-amazing what a little technology can do!

3 comments:

  1. I watched the video and I really liked the hand-held device the teacher was using. It reminded me of a more visual speak & spell (see the E.T. for what it looked like). It seems like an excellent teaching tool for early learners. Admittedly, I've very little reference for students that you, but it seemed to be rather engaging. I know that my nephew (now 7) used an Ipad to practice reading a few years ago, but primarily learned through books. So it's nice to a company design a tool aid in the teaching of reading. I can see where this would be a tremendous help to both educators and parents.

    (it took a second a viewing of the site to realize they're using I pads with apps - duh!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impressed with the company and the site! Not only the learning techniques, but the fact that they have been in this business for 35 years and continue to adapt with the changing times and make improvements. I really liked that on their site they showed the 1980's version and then the 2000's version. This shows that they are continuing to improve and adapt their products to make them more efficient for today's learner. Isn't that basically the definition of technology? I like this site not only for those with learning disabilities, but also those very young learners as well. This is very similar to what my 3 year old daughter enjoys doing. From Ipads, to books, to dvds, it seems like they have done a great job in making their learning experience easily accessible to people in various forms. Good post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology makes a world of difference in special education. There are so many neat gadgets, tools, and computer programs for students with special needs. The products offered by Attainment Company are a great example of the things that are available to special education students. I read through the apps that they sell and they seem to offer a great variety of well-designed apps that are simple to use. I really like that they are iPad apps and not a separate device to purchase. While the price tags on the apps are a little higher than what many of us are used to when it comes to apps, they seem reasonable when you realize that you do not have to invest in additional technology.

    ReplyDelete